The history of Jadran Joint Stock Company (JSC) – TOURISM ON THE RIVIERA
At the end of the 18th century, during the Habsburg Monarchy, Crikvenica Riviera was known as a sea bath resort. Between the two wars, the Riviera was popular with the elite. After 1945, tourism development slowed down because the hotels and villas were used as hospitals and rehabilitation centres.
The real development started in the 60s, when Jadran JCT enthusiasticaly renovated the devastated private hotels and villas and employed local people. Development and modernisation of the hotel facilities started and hotels CRIKVENICA, ESPLANADE, THERAPIA AND VILLA DANICA were established as hotel companies. These companies were the backbone of Crikvenica’s tourism from1950 until the merger of these companies into one company named the CATERING AND TOURISM COMPANY JADRAN . The tourist season would normally start on the 1st of May and finish on the 15th of September. Because of the short season, other catering objects such as cafés, bars, and restaurants were merged with the company. These objects mostly employed local people even in the winter period.
The integration was completed in 1964, at which time, the asset base of the hotels was greatly improved and changed. New hotels were built and old ones restored: International, Mediteran, Esplanade, Riviera Dramalj (next to hotel Danica), the hotels had en suited bathrooms, which was a new standard at the time.
Other companies in the area merged with the Jadran Company, so the company added hotels in Novi Vinodolski and Povile (today, hotels on the Novi Vinodolski Riviera), and hotels in Selce (Varaždin, Esperanto, Slaven, Auto camp Selce). A new Ad Turres resort with the hotel Omorika (1500 beds) was built in Crikvenica. Resort Kačjak was also built in Dramalj, as well as restaurants Lanterna and Mendula, which were situated on the seafront right in front of the hotels.
Bed numbers were increased to 4200, and hotel Therapia, Miramare and the Esplanade were renovated in the 70s and they were opened throughout the year. In 1988, the company took over and renovated the Pulist monastery, the former resort Kamensko, and turned it into Hotel Kaštel, a 3* hotel that is considered to be a pearl of the Jadran company hotels. At the same time the beaches were redone, as well the harbour and the church tower of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church. The hotel became the only hotel with a church in the former Yugoslavia.
The long history of this company, its transformation after 1993 and selling of some of its assets after 2003, in the new Croatian state, represent 55 long years of tourism tradition, in the hotel industry, on the Crikvenica Riviera .
Today, the company is operating as a Joint Stock Company with 10 profit centres, that is, 9 hotels and resorts with over 2500 beds and 2 Auto camps with 1700 places. All of the objects are positioned on the seafront and unite the best of tradition, experience and hospitality and offer you everything that is needed for an ideal holiday.